Friday, January 05, 2007

More Fog


Here is a shot I have some fond memories of, from about a year ago; taken (as are almost all of my shots) in a local park (Lake Accotink), this time while on a "fog break" from work.


What I remember vividly about this shot is that it was a complete fluke...I was focusing all of my attention on some driftwood much closer to my feet (and not visible in the photo here), and actually made quite a few (in hindsight, unsuccessful) exposures, when I heard a flock of geese overhead. Without taking my eye off my camera's eyepiece, I swiveled the camera on its tripod (and went as wide as I could on my lens) to see if I could get a glimpse of the flock...and got off a single shot. While I was delighted in seeing the geese, I did not expect anything to come of my rapid swivel- tilt- press-shutter action, and I immediately went back to shooting the driftwood.

Well, its not quite a Cartier-Bresson, but it turned out to be the only keeper of the day that day! ;-) I was lucky enough to have it published in the British Black & White Photography magazine (issue #45, April 2005).

2 comments:

David said...

This image captures various levels (if such a thing) of symmetry where we see the clouds, the horizon, and the geese. All somewhat symmetric but not quite so symmetri as to be boring.

You can feel the fog and liquid cold when viewing the picture. It's clear why a magazine would publish it.

Anonymous said...

Wow...well done! What an achievement when it was such an unintentional photograph....congrats!

Zoe xxx