Monday, March 29, 2021

Subterranean Stream


"The landscape of my days
appears to be composed,
like mountainous regions,
of varied materials
heaped up pell-mell.
There I see my nature,
itself composite,
made up of equal parts
of instinct and training.
Here and there protrude
the granite peaks of
the inevitable, but all
about is rubble from
the landslips of chance.
I strive to retrace my life
to find in it some plan,
following a vein of lead,
or of gold, or the
course of some
subterranean stream,
but such devices
are only tricks
of perspective
in the memory."

- Marguerite Yourcenar (1903 - 1987)
Memoirs of Hadrian

2 comments:

Mike Johnston said...

This picture of the cave
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-AmbiX4wN5SY/YGHpla41YFI/AAAAAAAAc1c/AjlsLcirQkEwsu6fa4x8D8N0hawHUQ2-gCLcBGAsYHQ/s2100/_MG_0405b-topaz.png
is beautiful!

I am awed and overwhelmed by its impact on me.

thanks for sharing

Mike Johnston

Andy Ilachinski said...

hi mike, i certainly appreciate the kind words! thanks for stopping by (: