Friday, October 20, 2023

Impressions of Niagara Falls


"Dream delivers us to dream,
and there is no end to illusion.
Life is like a train of moods
like a string of beads, and, as
we pass through them, they prove 
to be many-colored lenses which
paint the world their own hue..."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

I mentioned in my last post that my wife and I took a short trip to Niagara Falls, Canada last weekend. I also mentioned that I was a bit underwhelmed by the falls themselves; as a photographer "seeing" the falls for the first time (the "tourist" in me was enthralled, and my iPhone has about a half dozen snaps to prove it). Rather than taking photographs of the "falls as they appear in their full splendor," I instead took a series of more intimate "impressions" of the falls. 

Apart from their sheer size - the height varies between 70 and 100 ft, the Canadian portion is close to 2,600 ft wide, while the U.S. side is a bit over 1,000 ft) - Niagara falls are cacophonous and effervescent; indeed, they are best described as thunderously loud living liquid chaos! While the images that accompany this post may fall (small pun intended) far short of conveying just how thunderously loud and chaotic the falls are, they do provide a sense of what the falls offer photographers apart from their (otherwise grand) splendor. 

2 comments:

marty@martyknapp.com said...

Just gorgeous, Andy. Your impressions of isolated areas of the Niagra Falls have reminded me how the small, more intimate views of the world can be more magnificent than the sweeping views we are more accustomed to seeing. Thank you for sending these to me.
-Marty Knapp

Andy Ilachinski said...

hi marty…thanks for stopping by; in this case, i had to remind *myself* about the power of intimate views after growing increasingly despondent over my inability to capture a more typical “epic” view!